DPG was formed to offer focussed consulting services to clients who are looking for help with port and terminal growth, solving operational or performance issues and planning for new developments.
DPG’s focus for all projects at all stages of development is on safety, minimal interruption to operations, accessibility, maintainability and interchangeability of components, reliability and availability in order to achieve lower operating cost, reduced downtime and higher production. We evaluate all projects for technical soundness, constructability, cost effectiveness and compliance with client requirements
As described on our INSIGHTS page, effective Planning and development of a sound design, at the onset of a project, have consistently proven to reduce overall project costs. Investment in the consulting services fees associated with “up front” planning and development have proven to be exceptionally small compared to the savings generally realized, i.e. a very high return on the investment.
DPG specializes in this aspect of Project Planning and Development, and have provided substantial cost savings for clients by:
- Preparing efficient materials handling system layouts that maximizes equipment and system performance to optimize production;
- Evaluating equipment offered by several different qualified suppliers, comparing costs and technical offerings. Objective is to understand the subtle differences in their equipment that could impact future operation and maintenance costs;
- Providing effective Project Management, coordinating and ensuring schedules are maintained and costs controlled involving multiple suppliers, A/E firms and stakeholders on any one project;
- Identifying and developing effective equipment and system improvements to reduce operating and maintenance costs. Improvements can include common nuisances such as spillage, dust emissions, plugged chutes, accelerated liner wear and material degradation.
The following describes the Services offered by Douglas Planning Group LLC:
Complete Port and Bulk Terminal Solutions.
DPG develops and supports Projects from their Inception through Completion. Consulting Services include concept development, preparation of drawings and specifications, procurement assistance and project management.
Planning Services offered by DPG are based on our extensive experience in the evaluation and analysis of terminal operations and selection of appropriate bulk material handling equipment and systems to suit the proposed operation, cargo and budget objectives. Our goal is to ensure the equipment or system designs accommodate the client’s requirements, available budget and necessary flexibility for long-term success.
Bulk Solids Experience
Bulk materials product experience includes coal, petroleum coke (delayed, fluidized and anode grade), iron ore (pellets, lump, fines and concentrate), wood chips, wood pellets, limestone, gypsum, bauxite, soda ash, aggregates, salt, copper concentrate and others.
- Bulk Terminal Feasibility Studies and Capital Cost Analysis
- Expansion Planning
- Master Plans and other Planning Documents for Public Port Authorities
- Rail Planning
- Berth Utilization Studies
- Equipment Utilization and Optimization Analysis
Project Development Services:
- Bulk Terminal Concept Development thru Preliminary Design
- Site Plans, General Arrangement Drawings, Equipment Layouts
- Bid Package Preparation of Project Drawings and Specifications
- Bulk Terminal Project Descriptions and Operating Philosophy Documents
- Program and Project Management Serving as Owners' Representative
- Project Cost Estimating and Scheduling
- Procurement Assistance, Contractor Selection and Project Oversight through to Project Completion
Terminal Operations, Equipment & Systems Solutions.
DPG provides comprehensive bulk handling system evaluations offering solutions to reduce dust, spillage and other nuisances, while optimizing bulk handling system performance. Our engineers and design specialists have decades of “hands on” experience evaluating dry bulk handling systems and developing cost effective solutions for these and other problems.
DPG utilizes Stream Flow methodology for conveyor transfer designs, whether new or existing, to ensure smooth tight bulk cargo flow thru the system. The chutework, depending on the cargo, is arranged to minimize and preferably avoid free-fall that results in accelerated wear of liner plates, particle separation, degradation, aeration, spillage and dust emissions.
DPG can achieve stream flow thru new designs, and even more challenging existing transfers. modifications. DPG considers the bulk cargo properties and flow characteristics, belt speeds, trajectory and overall geometric requirements. Our objective for existing transfer modifications is to retain as much of the existing infrastructure as possible to reduce project costs and downtime.
We offer Discrete Element Modeling (DEM) evaluations for belt conveyor transfer designs through our partner firm, Frykberg Innovations Inc. (Fi2).
Bulk Terminal Improvements Services:
- Cargo Handling Logistics and Operations Analysis
- Systems Troubleshooting and De- bottlenecking
- Existing Cargo Terminals Expansion and Modernization
- Belt Conveyor Transfers Analysis and Design Improvements
- Dust Control Systems Inspection, Assessment and Replacement
- Equipment Inspections and Assessment for Repair or Replacement
Dry Bulk Materials Handling Specialists.
DPG not only provides the Consulting Services listed above to plants, terminals and port authorities, but also to A/E firms and equipment Manufacturers requiring specialized dry bulk materials handling expertise to augment their capabilities. DPG’s extensive experience enables us to provide value-added services to help manufacturers achieve solutions to difficult bulk materials handling challenges. We have assisted by providing bulk terminal layouts for rail and truck loading and unloading systems, specialized conveyance arrangements, belt conveyor transfers, and equipment development. One example where we assisted a manufacturer is the new BRUKS-Siwertell dust-controlled vessel unloading hopper equipment line.